Achieve more with WANDA
WANDA is a nonprofit organization that provides financial literacy training, professional and personal development, and a matched savings program to low-income single mothers. We serve women in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties.
Continue reading below to find out if WANDA is right for you, or attend an in-person Information Session.
When you join WANDA, you:
Learn to set personal goals, boost your financial literacy, advance your career, and sharpen key life skills
Graduate from WANDA with up to $6000 to invest in education, retirement or home ownership
Belong to a supportive community of achievement-minded women with similar challenges and goals
Access WANDA’s large network of peers, mentors and partner organizations
Pass along to your children the knowledge and skills you acquire
How does it work?
The WANDA program lasts three years. During the first year, participants attend an intensive financial literacy training module, then once-a-month classes. Each WANDA mom opens a savings account when she joins and makes regular monthly deposits until she reaches $2000, or until the end of the three year period. WANDA matches these savings 2:1. A mom who saves $2000 can earn up to $4000 in matching funds. This money is then invested in an asset, such as education, retirement, or a home.
WANDA accepts one new class of 30 women each year. Applications for the 2018-2019 program year will be accepted beginning November 1, 2018. Our application deadline is February 5, 2019. Classes for our next cohort will begin on March 23, 2018.
To be eligible to apply to WANDA, you must fit these criteria:
- Complete your application and submit supporting documentation by February 5, 2019
- Live, work or attend school in San Mateo County or Santa Clara County
- File as head of household on your income tax return
- Have at least one dependent 18 years or younger
- Employed full or part-time, be self-employed, or participate in work study
- Personal assets valued below approximately $15,000
- Have an income that falls within current WANDA income limits, as shown in the table below
Application Income Limits
Applications must be submitted by February 5, 2019 to be considered for the 2019-2020 program year.
STEP 1: Complete Online Application
Applications will be accepted November 1, 2018 – February 5, 2019.
The online application will ask you to upload the following documents:
- Photo ID; this can be: driver’s license, passport, CA ID, student ID, etc.
- 2017 tax return (IRS Form 1040)
- Most recent pay stubs or if you are self-employed, a copy of most recent quarterly tax payment
- Copy of your full credit report – obtain one free at www.creditkarma.com
STEP 2: Interview
If you meet the eligibility requirements, we will contact you for a brief and informal interview. If you do not meet eligibility requirements, we will notify you as soon as possible after receiving your application.
STEP 3: Acceptance notification
We will notify candidates of their acceptance to WANDA on February 28, 2019.
During the first year of the program you must be able attend classes on three Saturdays from 9:30-2:00.
- March 23, 2019
- March 30, 2019
- April 13, 2019
The remainder of the classes take place at 9:30am-12:00pm, on the second Saturday of every month from May through April of the following year (with the exception of July and August when we break for summer).
WANDA provides meals and free childcare during each class session. Classes are held in San Mateo.
Please contact the Program Manager:
Will you join us?